Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Joining the winners

I auditioned for the Oxford salsa team on Saturday, but didn't get through.

I had really wanted to make it. I came home to the comforting arms of Cem and Tim. We watched the X Factor, I had too much pizza. I napped, feeling very ill from the food.


I woke up and remembered something that one of the audition girls had said. Her name was Mandi, and she was Sri Lankan - she had seen me in Sri Lanka in summer! She had asked if I was going to a salsa night that was on.

Something in me changed; I decided that I was better than this. I phoned Mandi. "WAIT for me!" I said. "I'm coming with you."

That night, I partied with the people who had made the team. The people who beat me. It wasn't self-sabotage: I had SUCH a good time. We danced and danced and danced, I was spun around and around and around. A lot of laughter, a lot of fun. Great people.

They say, "if you can't beat them, join them". I didn't regret it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I was cruising Technorati and ran across your blog there. Very interesting and very cool. Love the concept. Hope you have a lot of fun with it! :-)
Best Wishes
Michael
http://www.mikeysgblog.com

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like you did the right thing...there is that other cliche keep your friends close and your enemies even closer...good luck

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home