Sunday, November 19, 2006

The power of laughter

Things will always go wrong. FACT!

But I fundamentally believe that the size of a problem depends on the way in which we respond to it. A few things that happened to me this week:

1 -- After a twelve hour day of studying and numeracy practice on Thursday, I went to bed at 10:30pm. I was so excited: I was going to get a full eight hours sleep before my Friday morning run. Then the firebell went off at 11:00pm. And kept ringing until 11:45pm. (Note: they usually turn off in a few minutes. It had never been this long before.)
2 -- Somewhat tired on Friday from the interruptions of Thursday night, I took a midday nap. For fifteen minutes. JUST fifteen minutes. What went wrong here? The firebell went off. Again! Twice in two days. It has never gone off this frequently before.
3 -- Friday evening. I was cold, so I put on my newly washed beautiful cream jumper from Sri Lanka. (I'd had to clean it because of a stain, and hence be without it while it was drying.) I made dinner and ate it watching Friends. What did I do? I promptly got ketchup on the sweater!

Learning to giggle when things go pearshaped is a huge accomplishment. The problem is always halved: because the bad mood that our reactions create is half of the difficulty.

Thursday evening ... I grumbled, I glared, I cursed and I moaned. Friday lunch time, I made a wry smile. Friday evening: I laughed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home