Thursday, January 25, 2007

Parsimonious dictionaries

I'm perusing a critique of Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics work. It puts forward the argument that Aristotle might, just possibly, be "parsimonious" in his discussion on voluntary actions.

Right. I know I should know this word, but I don't. Thank goodness for online dictionaries.

I type it out, checking my spelling: p-a-r-s-i-m-o-n-i-o-u-s. Ah! The virtual wonder recognises that which I do not.

It dutifully informs me that parsimonious is pronounced [pahr-suh-moh-nee-uhs]. And, should I not understand this, I can even click on a speaker icon to hear it out loud. Even more thrilling: parsimonious is an adjective, its origin between 1590 and 1600.

Not why I'm here though. Amongst these frivolities, I finally find the definition.

parsimonious, -adj: characterized or showing parsimony

Uhhhh huh. Thank you, online dictionary, for clearing up the matter. Your insightful definition does not require me to now look up parsimony, further deepening my profound feelings of stupidity. Of course not, because you're a generous online dictionary, with no limit to the amount of information you can hold. Not parsimonious at all.

(Which, I finally find out, means stingy.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Koneko-chan said...

You see, they say these things are sent to try us, but i recon they are just there to make us feel worse.
I was having a proper 'adult' conversation the other day and kris said a word. I turned to him quite honestly and said 'could you tell me what that means, i've never heard that before.'
He blinked at me twice and walked away....
What did i do?

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home